Photograph. The Atherly Cinema, situated on the corner of Newlands Road, was opened in September 1912, and was Southampton's first purpose built cinema (It was easier to find sites for new buildings in the suburbs than the town centre). It was named after the Atherly family who had previously owned the land on which the cinema was built. The cinema was built by local builder William Dalton Buck. Mr Buck also initially managed the cinema, as did his son Jack in the 1920s and 1930s. The Atherly closed down in 1975 and is now a bingo hall.