Engraving 7*9 cm. In 1861 the Post Office was transferred from 2 Hanover Buildings, where it had been since c1837, to 57 High Street. (Prior to 1837 it had been in French Street). In 1892 the High Street building was replaced by the new building seen in this illustration. The new building, opened on 5 November 1892, was built in Flemish style of red brick with terracotta dressings. It was built in three storeys surmounted by three elaborate pediments.