Drawn by sir henry englefield. published by t.baker. It was Sir Henry Englefield in 1805 who first suggested that this building may have once been King Canute's palace. In fact, the house has no connection with Canute but the name seems to have stuck. It is of the Norman period built 1170-1200. Traces of the original Norman windows and doors have survived. The house was evidently a very substantial dwelling in the medieval period when it was known as the 'Long House'. Before the south wall was built it faced out onto the waterfront.