Portcities Southampton
UK * Bristol * Hartlepool * Liverpool * London * Southampton
You are here: PortCities Southampton > [14192] 'Samtampa', 1947
* Text only * About this site * Site Map * Feedback
Explore this site
Start Here
About Us
Partners And Collections
Get Interactive!
Image galleries
The Docks
River Itchen
Southampton at war
Flying Boats
Finding Out More
Southampton speaks
Street Directories
Historic Buildings Survey
Registers and Records
Lloyd's Register
Official Sources
Other Records
Finding Out More
Wrecks and Accidents
Why accidents happen
Improving Safety at Sea
Finding Out More
Wreck Reports
Life of a Port
How a port comes to life
At work in a port
Ports at play
Trade - lifeblood of a port
Finding Out More
On the Line
Company growth and development
Shipping lines
Transatlantic travel
Preparing a liner
Finding Out More
Sea People
Life at sea
Jobs at sea
Travelling by sea
Starting a new life by sea
Women and the sea
Finding Out More
Diversity of Ships
The variety of ships
What drives the ship?
Ships of ancient times
Ships in the age of sail
Ships of the steam age
Ships of today

Wreck report for 'Samtampa', 1947

PDF file

This resource is available to view as a PDF document.

Click here to view 'Wreck report for 'Samtampa', 1947'.

You will need a PDF viewer to view this document. Tell me more...

Unique ID:14192
Description:Board of Trade wreck report for 'Samtampa', 1947.
Creator:GB Board of Trade
Copyright:Out of copyright
Partner:SCC Libraries
Partner ID:Unknown


Crown Copyright Reserved

No. 7946




In the matter of a Formal Investigation held at the Guildhall, Swansea, on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th days of August, 1947, before J. V. Naisby, Esq., K.C., assisted by Lt.-Com. C. V., Groves, R.N.R., Capt. H. A. Moore, I. J. Gray, Esq., and J. Young, Esq., into the circumstances attending the loss of the steamship " Samtampa" on the 23rd April, 1947, on Sker Point, Porthcawl.

The Court, having carefully inquired into the circumstances attending the above-mentioned shipping casualty, finds, for the reasons stated in the Annex hereto, that the loss of the "Samtampa" was due to her being driven on the rocks in exceptionally severe weather. There was insufficient evidence before the Court to enable it to find the reason why the said vessel came within dangerous proximity to the said rocks.

Dated this 7th day of August, 1947.

J. V. Naisby, Judge.

We concur in the above Report.

 Charles V. GrovesAssessors.
 H. A. Moore
 Ivor J. Gray
 Jas. Young


This Inquiry was held at the Guildhall, Swansea, on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th August, 1947. Mr. Pitts appeared on behalf of the Ministry of Transport, Mr. S. Knox Cunningham (instructed by Messrs. Middleton, Lewis and Clarke) appeared as Counsel for the Managers, Messrs. Houlders Bros. & Co., Ltd., Mr. Broadhead appeared for the Navigators' and Engineer Officers' Union, the Mercantile Marine Service Association, the Radio Officers' Union, and on behalf of the relatives of the master and officers, and Mr. Neil Maclean appeared on behalf of the Seamen's Union and the relatives of the crew other than the officers.

The "Samtampa" was an American-built vessel of the "Sam" class, owned by His Majesty the King represented by the Minister of Transport, and managed by Houlder Bros. & Co., Ltd. She was a steel flush deck, single screw, cargo vessel with machinery situated amidships. She was partly welded and partly rivetted. The engines were reciprocating engines served by oil-fired boilers. Her registered dimensions were: length 422.8 feet, beam 57 feet, depth 34.85 feet. The tonnages of the vessel were: under deck 6696.32, gross 7218.92, register 4380.17. The vessel had three holds forward of the machinery space and two abaft the machinery space. In the lower part of No. 1 hold there were two deep tanks and at the forward end of No. 4 hold there were two deep tanks. She had a forepeak and an after peak and a double bottom was fitted between the peaks. The whole of the accommodation was situated amidships. Four lifeboats were carried, two on each side of the vessel, fitted under mechanical davits. The total crew carried by the vessel (including the Master) was 39.

The lifeboats provided accommodation for 66 persons on each side of the ship. There were on board 42 standard life-jackets and 42 lifesaving waistcoats as well as 8 circular life buoys. A Galbraith line-throwing gun of American make, equipped with rockets and lines, was also carried.

The vessel was also fitted with wireless apparatus as detailed in the answer to Question 8 below.

The "Samtampa" left Middlesbrough bound for Newport (Mon.) in ballast in the early hours of the 19th April, 1947. The best evidence of her draught is contained in the Pilotage certificate which gives the draught as 10 feet 6 inches forward and 15 feet 6 inches aft. The vessel carried about 182 tons of permanent ballast, but there was no evidence as to the disposal of the water ballast which must have been on board in order to produce the draughts stated above. The quantity of oil fuel on board was 608 tons.

The "Samtampa" was expected to reach Newport on the a.m. tide on the 22nd April. She was probably seen passing Flamborough Head at 0745 on the 19th April, but owing to restricted visibility only the letters "TA" in her reply could be distinguished. Thereafter the vessel was not seen by any shore station till she passed Hartland Point at 0800 on the 23rd April. In the weather conditions prevailing this fact is not surprising. Meanwhile, at 11.30 a.m. on the 21st April, the Master sent a wireless message to his Managers to the effect that owing to the weather the vessel could not arrive at Newport before the p.m. tide on the 22nd. A further wireless message was received from the Master during the morning of the 22nd April that he did not expect to arrive in Barry Roads till 0800 on the 23rd April. At 0930 on the 23rd April yet a further message was received from the Master giving his time of arrival as 1400 hours. During the passage down the Channel the "Samtampa" encountered head winds which, though of no great force, would be sufficient to reduce the speed of a vessel in ballast trim.

At 0800 hours on the 23rd April the "Samtampa" passed Hartland Point at a distance of six to seven miles, was "spoken", and gave her name. So far as observation from the shore went, nothing abnormal was observed. Gale warnings had been broadcast, but it was not till after 0830 that any warning of exceptionally severe weather was given.

The vessel proceeded up the Bristol Channel, and at 1253 sent a wireless message to the "Empire Success" that the Foreland was abeam to starboard and that she was going to heave to soon. There had been an exchange of messages between the "Samtampa" and the "Empire Success" in the course of which the master of the "Samtampa" had expressed the view that in the weather conditions prevailing it was unlikely that they would be able to pick up a pilot. This message about heaving to was the first indication that the voyage of the "Samtampa" would be interrupted. From 1253 until 1514 there are no records of any wireless messages passing between the "Samtampa" and any other vessel or shore station; but at 1514 the master of the "Samtampa" sent out an urgency signal that the vessel was rapidly drifting towards the Nash shoal. This message was picked up by Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations as well as by the "Empire Success" and was relayed.

At 1554 the "Samtampa" sent a message to the effect that she had both anchors down and hoped to keep off the shoal, but was still doubtful, and at 1603 sent a further urgency signal which was received in various forms by the different stations, but undoubtedly gave a bearing of 290 degs., 2½ miles from Porthcawl Light. At 1632 the "Samtampa" sent out an SOS, "Fear Cables will not hold much longer. Please send assistance." At 1638 a message was sent to the effect that her starboard anchor had carried away and she was now drifting ashore rapidly. These two messages were both relayed by the shore stations. At 1650 the "Samtampa" sent a further SOS reporting that her port anchor had now parted. At 1651 a message was sent from the "Samtampa" to Burnham Radio saying that she would soon be ashore. At 1707 the "Samtampa" reported that she had only a few yards to go; and at 1708 she sent another SOS reporting that she was now aground at Porthcawl Light. At 1714 the "Samtampa" reported that she was breaking up, and the crew were leaving shortly.

At 1601 an ordinary private message was sent from the "Samtampa" to the Pilots at Newport in the following terms: "When weather moderates, please send pilot." The Court is unable to determine whether this message had been composed shortly before it was sent or whether it had been composed some time before and was sent merely when the wireless operator had a convenient opportunity to do so. The Members of the Court visited the scene of the wreck about or just after low water on the evening of the 5th August, and saw that the port cable is still attached to the forepart of the vessel and is leading seawards with a heavy strain upon it. The evidence given at the Inquiry was to the effect that when the wreck first drove ashore the strain upon this cable was even heavier. The position of the seaward end of the cable is unknown, and whether the port anchor is still attached to it or not we are unable to find, but there is undoubtedly a heavy strain upon this cable. If the anchor is not still attached to it, it must have been very firmly caught and held in the rocks. The starboard cable parted at the link joining the fourth and fifth links of the cable. This link at the time of the stranding was about the outboard end of the hawsepipe or just outside it. It is fractured right through in the way of the securing pin. The cable was not out to the end, and there were still a few fathoms more which could have been let out.

In view of the absence of evidence, the Court is unable to make any finding as to what really happened to the "Samtampa" between 1253 and the time the anchors were dropped. There was no evidence of any lack of steam or any trouble with the engines, and we can find no trace of any such trouble having existed. It is to be noted that none of the signals from the vessel gives any indication of trouble in the engine room. The probabilities are that during this period the "Samtampa", in worsening weather, was driven to the northward and became unmanageable.

All the witnesses who were called before the Court and spoke to seeing the "Samtampa" shortly before she was driven ashore had had their attention called to her by someone else. The first official person on the scene was the Station Officer of the Coastguard Station at Porthcawl. About 1545 he received a report that a vessel was near the shore in Rest Bay, and proceeded to the shore in that vicinity. He estimated that the vessel was about a mile off shore, heading out to sea. So far as he could see the vessel was stationary, and he thought she was at anchor. She was exhibiting no signals, and after watching her for about ten minutes could see no sign of her dragging. He stated that he could see that her propeller was working. He then proceeded to the Porthcawl Golf Club, and sent a warning message to his station for the lifeboat to stand by, and then proceeded outside the club house in order to keep the vessel under observation. He then observed the vessel had hoisted a two-flag signal. He could not discern what the Hags were, but as it was a twoflag signal he took it as a distress signal. He fixed the time of this at 1647. Propeller movement was still observable, with some smoke coming from the funnel, but no appreciable alteration had taken place in the position of the vessel. Shortly afterwards he received a telephone message to the effect that the starboard anchor of the vessel had carried away, and a few minutes afterwards noticed that the vessel started to move in a direction a little east of north; and at 1655 ordered the life saving appliance company to be called out, and a message was passed to Coastguard Headquarters to inform tugs. He had to wait for a few minutes before giving directions to the company as to where to go, until he was able to estimate the approximate position where the apparatus might be required. The apparatus was kept at a distance of about three miles by road from the place of the stranding. He then went along the shore himself to Sker Point, by which time the vessel was ashore. The apparatus arrived without any delay, and three attempts were made to fire rockets to the wreck. The apparatus had to be shifted after each of the first two attempts, because the tide was coming in and swept over it. None of the rockets reached the wreck, and all fell substantially short, although at least one of them made a flight apparently to the full extent of the line. The length of the rocket line was 400 yards, and the vessel was in fact nearly 500 yards from the water's edge.

The vessel grounded about two hours before high water, but owing to the south-westerly gale there was an unusually high tide, the tides in Swansea and Port Talbot rising to 1 foot 8 inches and 1 foot 11 inches respectively, above predicted height. The wind was from the south-west, force 9 to 11, and gusts of 88 miles an hour were recorded at Aberporth. The visibility was varying, but from 1500 hours onwards probably rarely exceeded a mile and a half. Very shortly after the vessel went aground she began to crack just forward of. the bridge, and in a few minutes the whole bow portion came away and was swept some yards inshore, and shortly afterwards the extreme after end also broke away and was driven more or less alongside the bow portion. At various times figures could be discerned on the midship portion of the vessel, but there seems to have been no attempt made by those on board to establish contact, by rocket line or otherwise, with the shore. In view of the very heavy pounding which the vessel was sustaining it is probable that anyone on the bridge would require both hands in order to hold on.

Shortly after the vessel grounded one of her lifeboats would seem to have been swept off the ship, but there was evidence that at one time men were seen to get into another of her lifeboats, though there was no evidence of an attempt to launch it. In our opinion in that sea and on those rocks, no lifeboat could ever have reached the shore.

The "Samtampa" carried a Galbraith line-throwing apparatus in a steel case on the upper bridge. Lines and rockets were carried, the lines being 1700 feet. The apparatus, however, was too cumbersome to enable it to be used with any chance of success in the weather conditions prevailing, and it would seem that if the charge got wet the apparatus is useless. According to the evidence given before the Court, this apparatus is not considered very satisfactory by the life-saving appliance surveyors, and it is their practice to recommend the supply of a superior type of line-throwing apparatus when they are available. There was also some evidence that the "Samtampa" carried a Schermuly pistol, but the vessel was well out of pistol range from the shore. There was evidence from one witness who spoke to seeing flashes of a signal lamp from the the "Samtampa," but no other witness observed any signals of any kind being made from the vessel. The "Samtampa" as she lay on the rocks was at almost the same height as the highest point of the seashore, and even if a line could have been passed between the vessel and the shore, in our opinion, in the weather conditions prevailing, there was no chance of anybody being transported by breeches buoy from the vessel to the shore alive.

At 1541 the coxswain of the Mumbles lifeboat was informed by the coastguards of the message sent out by the "Samtampa" at 1514, and six minutes later the same message was also passed to the Secretary of the lifeboat. At 1601 the Mumbles lifeboat was launched and proceeded seawards. Shortly afterwards the coastguard at Mumbles received the message sent by the "Samtampa" at 1603, and an attempt was made to pass this information to the lifeboat, but visibility was bad and the lifeboat had to return in order to ascertain the latest news of the position of the "Samtampa." The lifeboat left again at 1710 and proceeded to the place of stranding. Mumbles is some 12 miles from Sker Point, and it is clear that there never was any chance of the lifeboat getting to the "Samtampa" before she got on the rocks.

The position given by the "Samtampa" as 290 degs., 2½ miles from Porthcawl Light was substantially accurate, though whether she ever observed the light is doubtful. The visibility recorded at Porthcawl at the time was a mile to a mile-and-a-half. There is, however, a target buoy in the vicinity which the "Samtampa" might well have sighted which would enable her to fix her position.

The "Samtampa" was equipped with 135 fathoms of cable on her port anchor and 75 fathoms on the starboard anchor. This scale is in accordance with current regulations.

So far as tugs are concerned, the evidence was that no tugs were immediately available.


The Court answers the Questions submitted by the Ministry of Transport as follows:—

Q. 1. By whom was the s.s. "Samtampa" owned when she left Middlesbrough on the 19th April. 1947?

A. His Majesty the King, represented by the Minister of Transport.

Q. 2. By whom was the s.s. "Samtampa" managed when she left Middlesbrough on 19th April 1947?

A. Houlder Bros. & Co., Ltd., 53, Leadenhall Street, London, E.C.3, the registered manager being Mr. Vincent West Maw.

Q. 3. By whom was the s.s. "Samtampa" built?

A. New England Shipbuilding Corporation, South Portland, Maine, U.S.A.

Q. 4. On what voyage did the s.s. "Samtampa" embark when she left Middlesbrough on 19th April, 1947?

A. Middlesbrough to Newport (Mon.) in ballast.

Q. 5. When the s.s. "Samtampa" left Middlesbrough on 19th April, 1947, was she seaworthy, properly equipped and in every way fit to meet the perils of the voyage then undertaken?

A. Yes.

Q. 6. With what compasses was the s.s. "Samtampa" equipped?

A. Three magnetic compasses—standard, steering and emergency aft. Last adjusted at Genoa, February, 1947.

Q. 7. With what sounding devices was the s.s. "Samtampa" equipped?

A. One Kelvin and Wilfrid C. White sounding machine, one Fathometer manufactured by the Submarine Signal Company.

Q. 8. With what type of wireless transmitter was the s.s. "Samtampa" equipped and what was the range of the transmitter?

A. One transmitter model E.T. 8024. Range under all conditions 250 miles—under practical conditions 400 miles. One transmitter model E.T. 8025. Range under good conditions world-wide. One portable transmitter for use in a lifeboat model E.T. 8026. All made by Radio Corporation of America. The first two were both used and there was no failure of communications.

Q. 9. Was the s.s. "Samtampa" in ballast?

A. Yes.

Q. 10. What ballast did the s.s. "Samtampa" carry?

(a) permanent.

(b) water ballast.

A. (a) About 182 tons distributed in the wings of Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 5 holds.

(b) No evidence.

Q. 11. What weight of oil fuel was the s.s. "Samtampa" carrying when she left Middlesbrough? A. 608 tons.

Q. 12. What were the s.s. "Samtampa's" draughts of water on leaving Middlesbrough on the 19th April, 1947?

A. The best evidence of draught was the Pilotage certificate signed by the master and filled in by him giving the draught as 10 feet 6 inches forward and 15 feet 6 inches aft. Mean draught 13 feet o inches.

Q. 13. What was the number of officers and crew all told on leaving Middlesbrough?

A. Master, 3 deck officers, 5, engineer officers, 1 radio officer, 3 apprentices and 26 other hands. Total 39.

Q. 14. What was the condition of the weather, wind and sea on leaving Middlesbrough on 19th April, 1947?

A. Good visibility, light wind, smooth sea.

Q. 15. At what time on what day did the s.s. "Samtampa" pass Hartland Point?

A. About 0800 G.M.T. on the 23rd April, 1947.

Q. 16. What was the condition of weather, wind and sea when the s.s. "Samtampa" passed Hartland Point?

A. The wind was S.W., force 6 to 8. Sea rough.

Q. 17. Did the conditions of weather, wind and sea deteriorate from the time s.s. "Samtampa" was off Hartland Point?

A. Yes.

Q. 18. What was the visibility at the time the s.s. "Samtampa" passed Hartland Point and did it deteriorate?

A. At least 6 to 7 miles. The "Samtampa" was observed at this distance, was asked her name and replied. Visibility did deteriorate later.

Q. 19. Did the s.s. "Samtampa" transmit wireless signals with regard to difficulties in navigation? If so, were such signals received?

A. Yes. The following signals were received:—

1253 by the "Empire Success": "About to heave to—now approximately abeam of the Foreland to starboard."

1514 by the "Empire Success", Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations: "XXX `Samtampa' rapidly drifting towards Nash Shoal.

1532 by Burnham Radio Station: "This our emergency if needed."

1554 by Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations and the "Empire Success": "Have both hooks down now and hope keep off shoal but doubtful still."

1603 by Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations and the "Empire Success". This message was received in various forms; it probably began: "XXX `Samtampa' position 51.29 N. 3.45. W." All three stations got the latter part, which was: "bearing 290 degs. 2½ miles from Porthcawl Light."

1632 by Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations and the "Empire Success": "S.O.S. Samtampa" fear cables will not hold much longer please send assisttance."

1638 by all three stations: "Starboard anchor carried away now drifting ashore rapidly."

1650 received in various forms by all three stations.

This message undoubtedly stated that the port anchor had carried away.

1651 by Burnham and Land's End Radio Stations in different forms to the effect that the vessel would soon be ashore.

1707 by Burnham Radio: "Only a few yards to go."

1708 by Burnham Radio and "Empire Success" "S.O.S. `Samtampa' now aground at Porthcawl Light."

1714 by Burnham Radio and "Empire Success" "Now breaking up leaving shortly."

1738 the "Samfairy" reported receiving unreadable signals believed to be from the "Samtampa" at 1732 which sounded as if they were "earthed."

Q. 20. Did the s.s. "Samtampa" carry lifesaving appliances in full compliance with the regulations?

A. Yes. Last surveyed in Manchester, January, 1946.

Q. 21. Did the s.s. "Samtampa" carry a line throwing apparatus, and if so what was the make and range and where was the line throwing apparatus installed on board?

A. Yes. A Galbraith line throwing apparatus, range 1,050 feet. Probably also a Schermuly pistol.

Q. 22. At what time was the s.s. "Samtampa" first sighted near the coast where she was finally lost?

A. The time at which the "Samtampa" was first sighted near the coast was not proved in evidence.

Q. 23. Did the s.s. "Samtampa" exhibit any distress signal?

A. Yes. A two flag signal which could not be distinguished was observed at 1647 and was taken to be a distress signal.

Q. 24. At what time and at what place was the s.s. "Samtampa" first observed to be ashore or being driven ashore?

A. The first witness who gave evidence of the "Samtampa" approaching the shore put the time at shortly before 1620. He was then at the Coast Guard Observation Post a mile or more from the place of stranding.

Q. 25. Were attempts made to contact the s.s. "Samtampa" from shore by means of rocket line?

A. Yes.

Q. 26. If such attempts were made were they unsuccessful and for what reason?

A. Three rockets were fired. None reached the vessel because even apart from the fact that they had to be fired into the teeth of the storm the vessel was out of range.

Q. 27. Is there any evidence that the crew of the s.s. "Samtampa" attempted to make contact with the shore by rocket line or other means?

A. There is no evidence of any attempt to make contact with the shore by rocket line or other means. In the weather conditions prevailing it was probably impossible to use the Galbraith gun, and the vessel was out of pistol range.

Q. 28. What were the conditions of weather, wind and sea at the time and place where the s.s. "Samtampa" stranded?

A. Exceptionally severe. Visibility was limited by rain and mist. The wind was recorded about 8 miles away as force 9 to 11, and one master whose vessel was in the vicinity stated that in 28 years' sea experience he had encountered such weather in or near the United Kingdom only twice before. The sea was exceedingly rough, as was to be expected in such a gale. The formation of the rocks on which the vessel stranded was such as to increase considerably the scend of the sea.

Q. 29. What was the nature of the coastline where the s.s. "Samtampa" grounded?

A. Rocky ledges extending about half a mile along the coast with a sandy beach on either side.

Q. 30. How soon after grounding did the s.s. "Samtampa" break up?

A. She began to break up within a few minutes.

Q. 31. What members of the crew of 39 persons lost their lives?

A. All

Q. 32. What was the cause of the stranding of the s.s. "Samtampa" and the ultimate loss of the vessel with all members of the crew?

A. The loss of the "Samtampa" and the members of her crew was due to the vessel being driven on the rocks in exceptionally severe weather. Her dangerous proximity to the rocks was probally caused by the vessel becoming unmanageable in light condition.

Q. 33. Was the loss of the s.s. "Samtampa" due to the wilful act or default of any person or persons? If so, whom?

A. No.

DATED this 7th day of August, 1947.

J. V. Naisby, Judge

 Charles V. GrovesAssessors.
 H. A. Moore
 Ivor J. Gray
 Jas. Young

(Issued by the Minister of Transport

in London, October, 1947.)


To be purchased directly from H.M. Stationery Office at the following addresses:

York House, Kingsway, London, W.C.2; 13a Castle Street, Edinburgh, 2;

39-41 King Street, Manchester, 2; 1 St. Andrew's Crescent, Cardiff;

Tower Lane, Bristol, 1; 80 Chichester Street, Belfast



Price 4d. net


Advanced Search
Southampton City Council New Opportunities Fund Lloyd's Register London Metropolitan Archives National Maritime Museum World Ship Society  
Legal & Copyright * Partner sites: Bristol * Hartlepool * Liverpool * London * Southampton * Text only * About this site * Feedback